top of page

Referral to other services

Other mental health professionals that a GP might refer a person to include a psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, and psychiatrist. Other services include Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

CAMHS is an area of the NHS dedicated to supporting children and young people with emotional, behavioural and mental health issues, in both in-patient (hospital) and out-patient (day-care) services. CAHMS offer assessment and treatment to young people up to the age of 16 or 18, depending on the local service. The most common way to get an appointment is through the GP, but teachers and school nurses might also be able to make a referral.

Lucy was referred to CAMHS by her GP because of anxiety. The counsellor was understanding and made her feel comfortable.

bottom of page